Thursday, May 15, 2014

Background

The trip that I organized for my brother and me is meant to mirror, as much as possible, a trip that our mother's mother Mary and her brother George Feil's trip throughout Europe in the summer of 1939.

My family knew about this trip for a while, but it wasn't until, while looking through all the letters that Mary and her mother kept for decades (and in some cases, for over a century), that we discovered a collection of letters that she and George sent home during this excursion. I sifted through the multitude of letters and postcards (almost one each day!), and noted the places they went and things they've done.

In their trip, Mary and George travelled throughout France and Belgium, visiting the typical tourist destinations of the time. However, the aspect of their trip that Jacob and I most want to focus on is their journey from Glasgow to London, via bike. Remember, while the design of the bicycle hasn't changed drastically since the invention of a chain-driven bike1, even typical bikes nowadays are easier to use and, in general, better, as with all technology.

In any case, I will upload scans of these letters and postcards, as well as type out a transcript for each one. If I remember correctly, they have done some amazing things. The one that comes to mind is that Mary and her friend Marge got a private tour of the Carlisle Castle by the Duke himself.

Tomorrow, I will post a formal schedule and packing list, as well as my findings on my family history and cultural context concerning the couple's caravan.

1 Wikipedia article titled "Bicycle."

No comments:

Post a Comment