Monday, May 19, 2014

Day 1 of Biking: The Good, the Bad, and the Gross

Today was...a day. Neither bad nor good. Just a day.

We woke up at 6:30 and got on the 7:30 train to Glasgow. (This may be surprising to exactly one of you (mom) because we originally intended to go on the 5:30 train. Sadly, this one had no space for bikes, so this very nice lady at the information desk switched our tickets to later). While this later train did allow us to actually get to Glasgow with our bikes, it was...inconvenient. Instead of arriving at 10:00 in Glasgow, we got there at 12:00. We knew this would be inconvenient, but what else could we do?

We got on the train and stuck our panniers and butts in the seats in th efront of the train. I checked to make sure that I had the directions from Glasgow to Ayr on my phone, and lo and behold, they were not.

I was flustered. Unsure of whether we would have time to look up directions in Glasgow, I decided to set aside all my morals and beliefs along with everything I have learned about internet culture: I paid for wifi access on the train. It was dumb of me. I definitely should have simply waited 'til Glasgow, found a coffee shop, looked up the route and screenshoted the whole thing. But no. I had to do it right then and there, on a speeding 4-and-a-half-hour train ride from London to Glasgow. 

In short, I puked. I was subject to motion sickness for about the first hour and a half of the journey, then I was simply ok, and for the last hour, I was totally fine. (It might not have helped that Jacob and I had Indian for dinner last night.) So I suppose that was the first gross thing of the day. 

We got into Glasgow otherwise unscathed, got a quick bite to eat at one of the Nero Caffes that seems to be so popular here, and then hit the road. The best way to summarize our riding experience is probably through a list of good things and  bad things.

Good thing: route A7, the road that we took, is part of the UK National Cycle Network, which means that, for about 3/4 of the ride, we were on bikes- or bikes and walkers-only paths. Otherwise, we were in smaller roads with relatively little traffic. This was especially relieving after getting out of London traffic, because, as my brother so eloquently put it, "that shit's crazy."
Good thing: We saw the Scottish countryside, both old, new, and in-between.



Bad (but not so bad) thing: It rained lightly on and off throughout our ride.
Gross thing: when it wasn't raining water, it rained bugs.
Good thing: the panniers' bag covers successfully prevent water from getting in.
Good thing: Jacob got an upgrade!

Bad thing: as I turned left onto a road, (remember emblem England is backwards) this guy (bloke?) honked at me for a good five seconds, at which point I stopped on the side of the rode. He stopped right beside me in his gray (grey) British-made crappy-looking automobile, and looked at me dead in the eyes with his double-chin flabbing about when he said, "Oi! You didn't even look right when you turned! I could've hit you and you didn't even notice! Are you wanting to cause a jam or something?" At this point, there were about ten cars lined up behind him, and the asshole kept yelling at me as four more approached. I wanted call him that and give him the "bird" (middle finger), but instead only nodded and sank away in fear and resentment. "What an asshole" Jacob said shortly thereafter. I heartily agreed.
Good thing: my camelback holds two liters (litres), and Jacob's bottle holds 1.5. 
Bad thing: that's not really enough for the day, and we couldn't find a place to stop and fill it up.
Bad thing: for the last 7 miles of our ride, it rained.
Gross thing: on our way between the shop where we got tomorrow's lunch and the Chinese place at which we ate dinner, it poured. We got soaked trying to lock up our bikes. 
Good thing: the hosts/waiters/managers let us put our bags inside the fouier.
Bad thing: it was difficult trying to find Arnold's (the guy with whome we are staying for the night, reserved through airbnb) house.
Good thing: Arnold is super nice, and let us use his shower and washer and dryer.

No comments:

Post a Comment